6 Facts about the liver & liver disease
1. The liver is the only organ that can regenerate itself.
2. The liver filters over a liter of blood each minute, removing toxins such as air pollutants, pesticides, cigarette smoke, environmental chemicals, alcohol, and prescription and non-prescription drugs.
3. Cirrhosis is the irreversible condition marked by the accumulation of scar tissue in the liver. Cirrhosis can be caused by alcohol consumption, hepatitis, right-sided heart failure and other conditions.
4. While alcoholic hepatitis is found mostly in alcoholics, it also occurs in people who are merely social drinkers.
5. Liver disease often develops undetected over years, without obvious symptoms. Many people are diagnosed with liver disease after abnormalities are detected during routine blood tests.
6. Permanent liver damage can be the result of excessive chemical or toxin exposure. This damage can manifest as chronic liver disease, cirrhosis and liver tumors.